Sunday, August 17, 2014

To be taught.




To ALL of my fellow teachers:

Tomorrow starts a new school year.

One that will Undeniably cause you to sprout some silver hairs, learn Tibetan deep breathing stress techniques or laugh so hard that you surprise fart.  (I hope that you laugh more then you breathe like a whale, but lets face it, kids are stressful....and some of them, while quite cute, smell badly almost on purpose.)

I know that we all start out this year with a hopeful smile. We greet our new students with a baited breath and an empty slate.

Before your enter your room tomorrow, take a deep breathe and count to 3.

I know this year will bring about stress, and changes I am sure and surprises. But in every moment, there is an opportunity to teach. To become that person that a child never forgets.

To engage their minds, to open creativity, to make a sullen child silly.

All moments. All perfect.

There is a reason that we do what we do....

It is the magic of opening a mind, cracking a shell and becoming part of someone who is great.

And when your heart is beating because a child is driving you mad, I encourage you to count (once more my friends) to 3..... And try again, and again  and then once more...again.
Try it differently. Try it silly. Just fucking try.

THIS is a new chance to make your mark on the most precious commodity that we have.
 A child, one who will grow into an adult with the power to change the world.

Each year as I stare out at the sea of new faces, (sitting as still as they possibly can whilst mumbling "poop" into their neighbors faces) I wonder what surprise will emerge out of each of them by the end of the year.

Who will learn to lead the group?

Who will we need to help emerge from their shell of shyness?

Which child shall surprise me with their genius, and which one will make me laugh each and every day?

It all starts with us. With preschool teachers, who work together to create individual plans for each child who will leave into the next class...and then the next...and then mine.

The very precipice of where they take flight into the world of grander education.

I bite my nails (Not really, these babies are expensive) and hope that they remember everything that we have taught to them.... their manners, their education and the names of all of the star wars characters.

Please do not ever call us Day care workers. We are nothing of the sort. We teach. We are teachers.

In fact we form the very base of your children's learning and we sincerely hope, that when one of ours enters your classroom it is apparent in every way. We take this shit seriously, yo.


I wish us all the best this year. I hope that you will inspire a leader. Create an artist or discover the spark that can turn the most troubled child around, because for me....there is no better feeling then making a child become aware of how AMAZING they are.


And for them to be amazing. We all have to be.

XOXO



No comments: