Wednesday, May 18, 2011

And old man makes.....interesting,




I don't know what makes me offer people things. Lord knows that in the past three years, everyone and their cat has lived with me.

My house has been called home by a sister, a gardner, a boyfriend and an exhusband.
...A bastard cat and a very old man.

Don't get me wrong. I love living alone. With just my two wonderful kids and my Beast of a pitbull.

Alas, Life...is never perfect. And family is family.

Thankfully the Ex-husband has been chucked and left behind is two very happy children and a frail old man.

After I politely asked Chris to never darken my door again, if you please...Well...(Okay, okay I told him to get the fuck out, but let's not mince words.)

...Grampa didn't want to go, and Lord knows who could blame him. His son did not properly take care of him, and when he did he huffed and cussed and was generally pissed off because of it.

It's gross really, but hey. There is nothing I can do about the attitude of an Ex-husband.

So Grampa stayed, and I was fine with it...why? Well...I just couldn't tell him No.

So he is here, and we have muddled through this week just fine...The first day I had to do everything for him. We arranged things in the bathroom, and tried out new directions to get his wheelchair the furthest inside.

After bathroom time, my back ached and I was out of breathe, but I just told him that was due to my fat.

When he went to bed that night, in his clean and happy room I told him, "Don't worry Kent, we got this...we will figure this out." And he nodded "Yes. We do...and we will."

On Friday I changed my first poopy adult diaper. It was...interesting, and Kent sat there, his cheeks red..his head hung.

I shushed his embarrassment and told him "We all shit ourselves sometimes." Which made him laugh.
It's the first time I had to wipe a grown mans butt, but strangely I didn't mind.

When I look at this shrunkien old man I see a great father, I see the man who rocked my son to sleep and stared at him for hours because he was "So darn beautiful" I see the man who took in a scared pregnant woman and made her feel like family....I see a Veteran of this country and a man to be respected and honored.

I know that when his son was small and he couldn't walk, he was there. To guide him and help him be strong. He deserves that back.

I don't know why Chris thought this was too much for him. I guess he figured that with me working, raising two kids and starting school again, not to mention trying my best to take care of the house, yard and everything else...I could just take on One more thing....

What's an 79 year old man in the scheme of things?

But I am happy, and even though I didn't know what the fuck I was doing (or still am for that matter,) I know that together we will figure it out.

Together we got this.