Thursday, May 19, 2011

Replace yourself.

It's kinda hard to replace yourself.

This is something I am finding is true.

Lately I have been conducting interviews to fill my position as a school age teacher. I won't mention WHY, because that is like spitting in the face of Fate and Karma, so instead I will gloss over the why of it all.

On Monday I interviewed someone whose eyeballs kept freaking me out. They sort of wriggled around every time she moved her eyes.

In one sense I figured that might be pretty awesome as a scare factor....but then I realized I was glossing over her perfectly boring speech about how "awesome" she is.

Rule #1. Please don't tell me how awesome you are. If you truly ARE amazing, I will be able to tell. Don't speak about it BE about it YO!

I think to be a good teacher you should have great like-a-bility....which may be a made up word, I am unsure.

Like-a-bility comes when you are funny and sweet and confident about your abilities to teach a room full of children. Parents will love you, Staff will too and the children wont be able to help it either.

This is a skill that SEEMS easy, but alas, It is not.

You should be fun. If a child wants to paint with his nose, you should be open to that and even be able to suggest other body parts he should experiment painting with.

You should be a 'strong' teacher. One who is confident and take charge.

You should feel absolutely loyal to your coworkers and if it ever looks like they need a hand, you will offer yours before they can even ask.

So ..on my interviews I've been asking questions like "If you noticed a co-teacher is frusterated, what would you do?"

"If a child feels like today is a good day for painting with their toes...how would you handle it?"

"Tell me how you would talk to a parent who is very nervous about leaving their child with you."

Stuff like that.

I am not sad to be replaced...it is just an interesting quest.

We will see how it goes.

No comments: