Monday, June 2, 2014

#nofilter

 
 
I believe in social networking.

I feel like it is a new age religion. People are more loyal and more patient with their technological devices then they are to their own spouses.

You are never without your cell phone.
You poop with it, sleep next to it and use it to take pictures to memorize your lives with it.

Oh My! This is not a judgment! Not in the least.
I myself am included in the Masses.

What would I do without my cell phone? What did I do before I had a smartphone that could log my life for me.

Once upon a time I would snap pictures and wait with baited breath for my film to be processed.
Did I capture good images? Will there be a frame worthy film in the sealed paper package?

There were no filters, or Photoshop or cropping.

No I snap, filter, crop and keep all in the blink of an eye.

I alter the images of my life.

One of my favorite things about the pictures from my youth, are the backgrounds.

 I love to see what cereal is on the counter and what did the coffee pot look like?

Are there dishes in the sink? .....and if so what color were they? Did my grandmother pick them out?
Why was that material over the lamp?



I am a voyeur of my youth. A childhood snoop.


Nowadays you peruse pictures of mostly everyone and find that they are mostly all finely photo shopped.

Carefully snapped, snipped and saved.

I wonder if I am stealing something from future generations of me.


Will they wonder what shade of lipstick I preferred? Or that I loved raisin bran?

Will they wonder what cookie jar decorated my kitchen counter? Or that I have a love affair with old troll dolls that sit in my kitchen window, glaring wickedly from their perch.

Sometimes I think that I will give "going off the grid" a shot, but that idea lasts about as long as it takes between beeps of my phone alerts going off.





5 comments:

Candi said...

I absolutely love reading your words....thank you for sharing!

Your "Favorite Auntie" ♥ said...

You are fantastic! You have such a god given talent♥

-Lo said...

Thank you guys!

Anonymous said...

you are such a good writer I enjoy reading your blogs

-Lo said...

Thank you! I appreciate that!!! xoxo